dead Jindo soliloquy

Daniel Paul Marshall

i hope Tim Miller at wordandsilence doesn’t mind that i quote his long poem To the House of the Sun in a sonnet about a dead Jindo?

Dead Jindo Soliloquy

Maggots dripping from its black
mouth like molten Bramley oozing from a split in pastry.
A white hire car likely hit it: 99% more traffic
accidents in 2016— this poor Jindo won’t make
statistic. Maggots waste not want not. i turn to my
dog & say, this body too will look like that
it is not exempt from that fate
i quote from scripture: Miller, HOS, Book 24:1.
She’s ill at ease, her eyes & tail tell all.

The corpse has many lessons, wants so little,
gives flesh & sinew to the dust or hungry animals,
its stiff tongue never argues, only lolls
in mockery of fretting that the living deal

—the breathlessly anxious are the joke of the…

View original post 1 more word

1. pseudonymous says:

Utterly rancid yet lovable all the same

1. There are lessons from the dead. The simile to the maggots in the second line speaks volumes.

1. pseudonymous says:

You can’t trust a person that steps on a grave, I agree

2. No & to something, a dead dog looks delicious, even if they aren’t conscious.

3. pseudonymous says:

Isn’t a dead dog looking delicious a primary indicator of conscious activity said the maggot

4. Well, i suppose you got me there. Not an apperceptive maggot but nevertheless it sort of chose to be there. I doff my hat to you.

5. pseudonymous says:

And I doff my beanie in return. Really though I liked this one a lot. I should check out Tim’s.

6. Tim’s book is a monster but crammed full of wisdom as it is composed of 1000s of years of wisdom. If you get the book & see it, & read it, you’ll know why i refer to it as “scripture”.

2. “The corpse has many lessons…” So true.

1. I thought the dark interior of your mind might like that, which appearing dark is actually quite an enlightened position.

3. Bonsai says:

I want to write a poem like this. I saw a huge dead carp today on the rain soaked beach. That should have inspired me! Every time I walk the beach in the rain I notice dead things. Bits of things washed up in a recent rebellion.

1. You absolutely should. i don’t know what i’d write about if not for sea junk & dead stuff to get me kick started. i see it as a sort of alchemy to turn base themes into something as necessary as poetry.
      You could do a sort of homage parody to the dead Jindo, haha, not that death is a laughing matter.

4. Tim Miller says:

Lolz thanks Danny Boy, I hope Buddha don’t mind I stole from him for that great line; credit given in the HOS notes at least. Poor dog. Great pic too.

1. We best both watch the sky for his levins.