the nostalgias of an abandoned school

out walking 보름 i stumbled on an abandoned school near to me. as you will see from the photos, a lot has been left there, as if one day the pupils & teachers just vanished, leaving the school to the clemency of time. i wanted to convey recollection, nostalgia & i think i have managed to at least tackle that a little with the juxtaposition of interior / exterior & the texture of the photos. you can’t really escape memory as concept in such a place, though my thoughts weren’t of my own school life, but rather the hive of activity that would have filled this school, you can maybe hear too if you listen hard enough.

1. Thank you for sharing this. The photos are daunting and I can hear.

1. thanks for having a browse. i couldn’t believe the place is there & so close to me & moreover that i’ve never seen it before; even the large windows were open so i could get inside.

1. You have now saved it’s beauty and nostalgic atmosphere……forever.
        Well done. :o)

2. darendepasucatblog says:

Creepy as it is.

1. it feels sad more than creepy, but i agree the aesthetic appears creepy.

1. darendepasucatblog says:

Yeah creepy but sad at the same time. The feels 😢

3. I love the photos! They capture the intrigue and time capsuled quality of the place. Good prompt for creative writing too…

1. Be my guest to use them in anyway as a prompt. Glad you like them & if they extend beyond that’s great.

1. Thanks. I will let it simmer and see if anything is worth sharing…I’ll let you know if/when I do 😊

2. A sensible plan. Best of luck.

4. The aesthetic of decay is always fascinating, especially when it is made poignant/creepy in the context of schools/places of education. Great shots!

1. Luckily i had my camera as the weather was ideal. But you’re quite right about the aesthetic of decay.

1. I hate glorifying decay, like beauty is this case ultimately is ugliness. But using beautiful photography as a meditation on decay, to me, is the high art in such things. In that manner you are exceptionally gifted. Great work!

5. robert okaji says:

Impressive shots! I can almost hear the ghosts…

1. i sat thinking a while after a couple hours snapping what it is that we feel in such a place, what compels us to capture the feeling of such a place like trapping a person’s final breath in a jam jar. still can’t make my mind up.

1. robert okaji says:

What draws us to the abandoned? I don’t know, yet I’m compelled to investigate it.

2. i thought about what “draws us to the abandoned” more. i think it may stem from our discomfort: that something that should be full but is empty should be replaced with, well anything. the poet, painter or photographer is sensitive enough to not only sense the void-ness but to curate something to exist in its place, even if that something is an expression of absence; it becomes something tangible, something useful.

2. “I can almost hear the ghosts…” that is a brilliant line. So much meaning can be felt from and/or read into it. It is totally true… there is no off switch on (your) genius!!

1. robert okaji says:

Just a visceral reaction to the photos.

2. I am currently writing a solo saxophone piece called “I Can Almost Hear The Ghosts”… and the ideas are flooding into/out of me.

It would take me dozens of paragraphs to explain the depth of my love for this line, and the power it has over me. Lost love, weltschmerz, joy, sorrow, first and last kisses… you have no idea what this brilliant line does to me! If this ferocious mantra is “just”one of your visceral reactions to a photo, then #$#@!!, what kind of god-like soul you must have!!

Yours and Daniel’s writing is so inspiring and brilliant and soul shattering (in such sobering, wonderful way). I think you both must be alien secret agents from an advanced literary civilization, sent to covertly open our minds! LOL!

3. Daniel your sensitivity to impressions & influences astonishes me, i have a friend similar to you, the thrill of feeling bubbles over him like the warm energies of good tea.
        i would love to read an article deconstructing your saxophone piece: illustrating what certain notes within a scale/passage represent, say G# may mean something, may be emotive of a particular sense impression or philosophy or Eb or whichever notes move throughout the piece; you get the idea. Robbie Basho explains such a system http://www.robbiebasho-archives.info/en/style.html, which is just astounding & leaves us with so much more to consider when listening to his music. i am currently in the process of trying to write essays on technique & the way i approach poetry & realize there is quite a scarcity of such open exposure to a poets or artist’s approach as if the secret is guarded, when i fear it may that it is all too automatic perhaps & that technique hinges on immediate sense, which isn’t wrong, but doesn’t allow us to see the mechanics of creativity.

4. robert okaji says:

I don’t know about Daniel, but I often feel like an alien being. 👽

5. You ARE an alien. More specifically you are alienated. A genius level poet and deep thinker, with a love of courtesy, justice and truth. How much more alien from modern society can you get!? LOL!

6. Ahhh… Robbie Basho!! There is much that I disagree with in his writing and approach. BUT… his completely ferocious quest to find truth in sound and/or his “soul first, technique later” approach to musicality opened a lot of minds and hearts where ‘regular” approaches may not have done so. As such, Basho should be read and at least considered by every musician on the planet… and you are so right to mention him! We all should go after music with such a passion as Basho!

As for my saxophone piece, all future theoretical/conceptual/spiritual analysis of said piece should result in the following conclusion exclusively.. Daniel Schnee once again tried to say “I don’t know” in the most “dissonantly pretty” way he could think of! LOL! And as for your own literary and technical analysis, I’ll bet whatever it is you contemplate in and/or claim about writing… it would very very very very VERY greatly benefit all of us and make us infinitely better writers! 🙂

7. dannyj045 says:

Great post! I recently started a blog about my law school experience check it out if you have a chance.
    Talesofanaspitinglawyer.com

1. sorry for the late reply, i seem to have overlooked your comment somehow. i appreciate you browsing & commenting.